turning point from HIV TO AIDS

How long does it take HIV to affect your immune sys. to the point where you get AIDS. Also how long from when you get aids until you die. The last question posted on the matter was in 1998 I was wondering if since then there has been any developments?

We now consider HIV and AIDS to both be treatable (not curable) long-term illnesses for people that have access to antiretroviral medication. Untreated, the average time from acquisition of HIV to development of AIDS is about 10 years, but this varies considerably. AIDS can be prevented though the use of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in patients with HIV infection. The average survival duration for someone with AIDS since the advent of HAART is not currently known. The death rates in most HIV clinics are very low now. In our clinic, most of the deaths occur in people that have spotty adherence and show up for health care when they are experiencing a crisis. I believe that the long-term live expectancy for someone with HIV infection that can adhere to treatment will be near-normal. Check back in 30 years to see if this prediction is correct. Thanks for posting.

Fast Progression? (Am I Doomed?)
NNRTI & Lipitor