Efavirenz and atazanavir vs omeprazol

Dear expert,

Im investigating the right combination of HAART and consider Egavirenz/ Truvuda as an option. However recently I read a study on the negative effect of omeprazol (prilosec) on the blood levels of Atazanavir (drop of 70 percent). I would like to now if Efavirenz has the same kind of interaction. In that case it wouldnt be an option for me bacause I use/need 40 mg of omeprazol every day.

Yours faitfully

John

John- Thanks for your post.

Yes, there is a very serious drug-drug interaction between proton pump inhibitors (like omeprazole) and atazanavir, resulting in a dramatic reduction in the amount of atazanavir that your virus would be exposed to. To make matters worse, boosting taz with ritonavir really doesn't help (this is because the problem is with the absorption of the drug, rather than the elimination of the drug). To my knowledge, efavirenz levels are not affected by PPIs in any significant way.

So, if you need to take omeprazole because of stomach acid problems, I would not recommend any atazanavir-based treatment. I would certainly bring this information to your doctor's attention.

This story points out the potential for unexpected drug-drug interactions and the need to be vigilant about new information about old(er)and new drugs alike.

Have a happy and healthy new year, BY

Should I think about starting treatment?
Somatropin IU dosage