Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment Initiation
Jan 4, 2005

Hi,

After reading a host of materials on treatment initiation for those starting their first line treatment, I can't help but wonder if the current guidelines are not factoring in the lower side effect profile for the so called 'gold standard' meds.

I keep having a reoccuring thought: at the end of the day this virus is deadly and controlling it at an earlier stage may preserve the immune function and allow for greater flexibility in the future as new classes of drugs roll out. In fact, I believe there was a recent study that indicated that starting therapy above the 350 tcell threshold resulted in fewer side effects and increased treatment effect. I realize the best drugs today are not free of side effects but why not give it a try first and if there is a bad reaction there is always the option to stop and re-evaluate since treatment was started at a higher t-cell level.

I'd appreciate your thoughts as an experienced clinician in this area.

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Pierone

I think that early treatment of HIV infection may be where we are headed based on several factors.

The first consideration is that several STI studies have shown that the best predictor of successfully stopping therapy is having higher CD4 cells before initiating therapy. The implication is that by avoiding immune depletion we might be better able to periodically stop therapy in the future. So starting sooner than 350 makes some sense based on these STI studies, here is a link to a summary of one such trial called BASTA.

Another issue is that, in fact, current first-line therapy is more effective and better tolerated than older regimens and this tips the balance towards earlier treatment. There are also studies that show it is easier to keep the virus at bay and control viral replication when CD4 counts are higher and the viral load levels are a bit lower. You touched upon another point - the decision to initiate antiretroviral therapy is not an irrevocable contract. Some people begin therapy and never blink an eye have no side effects, and quickly see an undetectable viral load. Others have myriad adverse reactions and stop HAART because of a significant reduction in life quality. This latter scenario occurs much less often now because of the availability of better antiretroviral medications.

The movement back towards earlier treatment is mainly held in check by the real concerns of non-adherence, drug resistance, and cumulative antiretroviral toxicity. Hopefully the results of ongoing studies like SMART will help us better understand the risks and benefits of earlier HIV treatment. Thanks for posting.

Previous
neuropathy following primary HIV infection
Next
Can I stop my meds ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.