Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

once-daily dose of Fortovase
Jan 24, 2000

I red last year that once-daily dose of Fortovase in combination with a mini-dose of ritonavir achieve antiviral control over a 24-hour interval.

I wonder if it is enough safe as my regimen is Fortovase TID, zerit, ddi an Hydroxurea (i am undetectable)

Thank you

Response from Dr. Cohen

Well, first - hopefully you are detectable. And HIV is not.

We recently presented results of a large trial pretty clearly showing that you can safely use Fortovase (with any two nucleosides) either three times a day (like you - that is what TID means) or just twice a day. In general, the twice a day was better tolerated - with somewhat less side effects, and equivalent degrees of viral control. So that change you can make - and if you do go to just twice a day - the dose we studied was 8 capsules (1600 mg) twice a day - while if you take it three times a day, it is 6 caps each time. And as a reminder - it needs to be with food for better absorption.

Now - what about once a day? The only info so far is just on the blood levels - and you are right - when 8 capsules of fortovase was taken with just 100 mg of ritonavir/norvir, the level of fortovase appeared to stay high enough to consider this enough for once a day use. However - you need to know that there is NO clinical info yet on how well this works to keep HIV under control - that will be addressed in studies just now getting planned and underway. You can consider joining such a study if there is one near you... but until those results are in - it is not yet proven how well this will work. It looks promising, but some want to see proof before switching.

But at the least you can consider the twice a day simplification...

CC

Previous
Your personal feelings about Re-mune?
Next
Lipodystrophy urgent please help!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.