Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Melanoma and Sentinel Node
Dec 28, 2004

Hi . I am 7 years positive and successfully kept the virus at bay by taking Trizivir and Viramune for the past 4 years. I recently have had a 1 mm melanoma removed from my torso. It is a Clarks level IV , but my dermatoligist is confident that it was all removed. The chest x-ray and blood and urine tests are negative. Should I have a sentinel node performed just in case? How soon should I have it done? If positive what course of action should I follow? I feel fine , save for occasional quick "jolts" in my head/brain that are basically painless and may or may not be related to medications/allergies???? Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Pierone

A melanoma of 1mm and Clarks level IV would be classified as stage I and has a low risk of recurrence. However, the involvement of the torso denotes a higher risk and men are at higher risk as well. Although it is controversial, some authorities do recommend sentinel node biopsy in situations like yours. There may also be a role for PET scanning. The management of melanoma is complex and evolving fairly quickly. You might strongly consider having an evaluation by an oncologist or cancer center with expertise in melanoma management. Please give us feedback if you do see a melanoma expert. Thanks for posting.

Previous
French Vaccine
Next
Stop or switching treatment option

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.