CMV and HIV

I was recently diagnosed with HIV and then told I have CMV. I know this is considered AIDS, with this diagnosis what do I do next? Will I start meds right away? Will this prolong my time here? I am still quite shocked and don't know how to cope. What should I do? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thanks for your question, sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

I'm not sure about the exact details of your CMV -- was it diagnosed by a blood test (positive antibodies) or was there evidence of so-called CMV end-organ disease (like retinitis or colitis). The former has no particular bearing on whether to start HIV medications or AIDS status; the later implies advanced AIDS and requires treatment for both HIV and CMV.

The needed information about your HIV-related health comes from knowledge of your CD4 count and HIV viral load. These are the factors that determine when and if you'll need HIV medications.

When you find out this information, write back -- I can fill in some of the additional details then.

Good luck, thanks for reading. BY

CD4 up and down-time for treatment
Cocktail for drug resistant virus