Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Male Yeast Infection Help?
Dec 26, 2004

I am a bit embarrassed by this, since I have never suffered from it before but I think I might have a yeast infection.

It started about a year ago, my wife has suffered from yeast infections for as long as I can remember, but recently I think I might have one as well. I am uncircumcised and have never suffered from any condition down there until now.

Basically what I have is a substance that looks kind of cheezy - like either gummy substance or small white specks in small clumps gathered together, is white in color and smells a bit. It causes the foreskin to stick together and is difficult to remove even when I shower and attempt to clean it out. It also feels a bit uncomfortable, bordering on pain, when I pee. I have looked up male yeast infections on various sites and I am relieved to say that I do not suffer as badly as some of those poor chaps do, but I need to make sure.

I have been using Monistat and Canesten off and on since I stated having this and when I do, it goes away. But when I stop, it comes back. Nothing in particular that I have tried makes it worse or better, I tried going to a doctor, who proceeded to tell me nothing was wrong with me, and when I approached a pharmacist, he seemed grossed out and uncomfortable and made it clear that he did not really wanna be involved. I do not wish to become circumcised - nor does my wife. Is there any treatment that I can try to help this out? Is what I have even a yeast infection? Please help, I would be very grateful ....

Response from Dr. Pierone

It sounds like the real thing, men can and do get Candida balinitis. Diflucan generally works well for this infection. This may also indicate a reduction in CD4 cells so it would be important to know the status of your HIV infection.

Previous
Paris - Dendritic Cell Vaccine!
Next
alcohol and treatments

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.