Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Start therapy now?
Dec 25, 2004

Hi, I am a 25 y/o gay male. I was diagnosed positive last August. Must have been a recent infection. Last February I was still negative. My CD count is 300 and my VL has exceeded 100,000. Physically and psychologically I feel very well, given the situation. Still, my doctor wants me to go on an experimental treatment. He says if I don't start taking medicines I may soon develop AIDS.I'm confused: 1) Do I really need to start treatment asap? Isn't it too early yet? I'm afraid my doctor might be pushing the therapy on me because of financial interests he may have from the development of the medicine in question. 2) What kind of treatment would you suggest? Where I live there are not many competent doctors around. That's why I really need your advice as soon as possible please. Thanx a million!

Response from Dr. Pierone

It is not imperative that you start treatment right away. It always makes sense to get multiple lab readings to better ascertain your immune status because the numbers may vary considerably. If on repeat determinations your viral load and CD4 count are in this range then treatment is appropriate, but not mandatory.

If you do decide to go on therapy it does not have to be as part of a clinical trial. Approved regimens are so good now that you should carefully consider how the study regimens compare with established treatment. Clinical research is critically important to advance our understanding of HIV and learn how to better treat patients. But this does not mean that every study that comes along is worthwhile participating in. But some studies are vitally important and altruistic people are needed to further the common good.

Potential financial conflicts of interest abound in medicine and must always be considered. If your doctor is ethically grounded he will keep your medical well-being ahead of financial considerations.

Previous
There is hope?
Next
T-Cell Rebound

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.