Is stopping treatment safe ?

My name is Edgar from Mexico; 5 yars with hiv; its possible to stop treatment after taking it during 5 years; with less than 400 in my load viral; once I stop taking it for one mont and I continue with less than 400; then I stop taking efavirenz during 2 months and one more time with less than 400. Its possible to stop treatment? My treatment is Combivir (Lamivudina y zidovudina) y stocrin (efavirenz, Sustiva) I've hear that person who begin treatment are able to stop it. Thanks a lot

It depends on the CD4 count. There are studies that indicate most patients remain well for extended periods (several years) after stopping HIV medications if their CD4 count was high (above 350) when they originally started therapy. The viral load returns to detectable levels of course, and CD4 counts decline, but by and large it appears to be a reasonable approach. Whether it is the best strategy is not known and there is a global study called SMART that is investigating this question. Here is a link to a review on treatment interruption. Good luck!

Truvada versus Epzicom?
Merry Christmas.....from india!!