The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dec 22, 2004

Dear doctor ,

Sorry for my poor english ... Well , my ex boyfriend who's Brazilian and lives in Rio has been recently diagnosed for Candidiasis(tongue and throat) . After an HIV test , his lab result came back positive . His T cell count is 450 . I have no information concerning his viral load . His doctor decided not to start therapy and just treated him for candidiasis . He felt much better until he stopped treatment after 2 months . Do you think it's time to start HIV treatment even if his T cell count is over 400 ? Last question : Do you know a good hospital in Rio where he could find better advice .

Thank you in advance and marry xmas . Florent from France

Response from Dr. Young

Dear Florent- Thank you for your questions.

In general, most physicians don't start treatment for HIV until counts are well below 400 and current treatment guidelines don't typically recommend treatment until counts fall below 350 for asymptomatic persons.

So, I'd be in agreement with your friend's doctor in Rio about waiting to initiate treatment, provided that he's otherwise feeling well.

As for hospitals in Rio, I can't speak personally to this question, though I do know that one can get very good HIV care in Brazil, and Rio in particular.

TheBody's ASO finder ( can be a useful resource for making contacts about who's who in Brazil.

Good luck, happy holidays. BY

well, despite resistance!
do I really need meds now?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint