reyataz for crixivan

I was diagnosed positive in 1994 when I had severe hiv polyneuropathy.I began with azt. For the past 8 years I have been on crixivan plus 2 nukes. First zerit & epivir and now epivir & viread. My cd4's have remained very high and my vl undtectable.My doctor thinks I should switch reyataz/norvir for the crixivan, for ease and for lipodystrophy.What is your opinion? Is reyataz more easily tolerated than crixivan, especially gi effects? Does reyataz penetrate the brain and cerbrospinal fluid as well as crixivan?

Response from Dr. Lee

If you wish to change dosing for ease, the switch you are considering may be ok. Because the suggestion is to use boosted reyatz (with norvir) I doubt that there will be fewer GI effects. It does not appear that reyataz crosses into the cerebrospinal fluid as well as crixivan. Finally there is no evidence that lipodystrophy is likely to be affected by the change of protease inhibitors you are considering.

Be well.

multiple false positives?
Trizivir