Reyataz and neuropathy in already affected patient

I'm a 64 year old woman (who you helped a couple weeks ago).I am to resume treatment. Most recently took Combivir and Viramune, though nothing for three years because of severe neuropathy and pretty good blood reports. Now it is suggested I take Reyataz (atazanavir sulfate) with Norvir, and Combivir. In readin an add for Reyataz it mentions a common side effect of "tingling or burning" in hands and feet (Sounds like more neuropathy to me). It also warns against taking with statins (I take Lipitor). And I have concern about the crossing of the blood brain barrier with at least one of the above meds. Have not started yet - want to be sure it is the best combination for me at this time. In regard to my previous question about whether to resume treatment by clinic doctors finally agree I should resume.- But I do not want to worsen Neuropathy I have it severly.

Response from Dr. Lee

HIV itself may be a cause of neuorpathy and thus it may be improved with treatment. On the other hand, some of the medicines (especially the nucs such as D4T) may also cause a worsening of neuropathy.

Reyataz is a medicine that has interactions with the statins, so it is important that you talk with your doctor about any needed doseage adjustments, or med changes.

AZT (a component of Combivir) crosses the blood brain barrier well. In fact in the early years of the disease, we saw a dramatic decline in HIV related dementia for patients on AZT.

Be well.

Dropping Combivir?
Stopping therapy with 400 CD4+'s