Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

painful swelling in my pectoral

Hello Doctors,

Wasn't sure where to ask, so I'll try here.

My CD4+ is about 390. No treatment yet.

I just returned from a week in Phuket Thailand, where I did a lot of snorkleing. On the last day, I developed a painful swelling near my left pectoral muscle and underarm. At first I thought I might be having a heart attack, but I'm still here! It has been three days, and it hasn't subsided. I'm taking Advil, which helps with the pain.

The only thing that I could think of was that I might have injured myself pulling myself into the boat. Does this sound plausible, or is this more likely some sort of infection? The swelling is about 3" in diameter, and a 1/2" high. Most obvious between my nipple and underarm. It is quite tender.

Thank you for any assistance.

Thanks for your question.

I'm not sure what you've got-- this is the kind of thing that is difficult to assess on line. It's possible that you've got a muscle injury or an infection. The latter is usually more red, kinda like a pimple. We've seen one patient who developed a pretty painful staph infection around the breast/chest and your lesion sounds similar.

Given the size and pain associated with the swelling, the best thing to do is to have your healthcare provider take a look.

Good luck, BY

sudden rise in v load
Starting Meds ***