Facial wasting early on HIV

Hi Doctor:

I am asking my question here because on your lipodystrophy forum there doesn't seem to be much activity lately.

I became HIV + about a year ago, and started meds viramune/3tc/viread about 2 months later.

Viral load is <50 and tcells average 450. Age is 38.

When I seroconverted I became quite sick for about two weeks and lost a lot of weight, about 20 lbs. My original height weight was 6 feet and 200 lbs. I am currently around 195 lbs. However, my face still looks thin, specifically in the cheek area. Can I already be developing some lite facial wasting this early? I didn't think much of it at first, but I have people continually asking me if I have lost weight even today. And they specifically say I have lost weight in the face. Though I do not look unhealthy, I was considering maybe sculptra treatment and getting a head start on wasting possibly.

I understand that this might come across as vain, but I do work in corporate sales so it could affect my job.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Thanks for your post.

It's not too common to see lipoatrophy occur so rapidly in persons receiving non-d4T containing treatments like you; however, while unusual, it certainly has been seen and might very well be a possibility. More germain is the observation that one's lowest ever CD4 count and duration of HIV infection seems to predict the risk of developing lipoatrophy, so perhaps this is playing a role in your case.

There are now FDA-approved treatments for lipoatrophy-- polylactic acid (Sculptra) is an injectable filler that has pretty good (albeit expensive) results and might be worth considering.

Good luck, BY

Giving vent to a disappointment about drug companies
sudden rise in v load