Giving vent to a disappointment about drug companies

I just read the article "Why Is There No AIDS Vaccine?" in the news forum. It is disappointing to see the numbers about the number about a vaccine and a new drug. In cold blood, no pun intended, the industry give no attention at all to developing an HIV vaccine. It is not profitable! Period. Where is the government? Public fundind and so forth? Drugs are four times more profitable than vaccines. That's it. It is only about profits. Sad society that analizes it's fellow citizens only as a jackpot. A chance for a quick buck. Very sad

Thanks for your post.

I share your dissappointment in not having either a therapeutic nor preventive vaccine for HIV. I also share your grief that profit often drives research, but more importantly, profit drives access to available HIV treatments, both in the US and outside of the US. The tricky thing though is that it is the profit incentive, or the ability to obtain a return on one's investment that has yielded the remarkable set of medications that we have for HIV. It is the perception of this profit that is the basis for the dramatic reversal of fortune for persons living with HIV in the developed world.

I'm less certain though that the lack of a vaccine is a pharmaceutical conspiracy-- there has been years of research, totalling probably tens of millions of dollars. Saddly, more because of the difficult nature of trying to immunologically pin down a fast moving (or evolving) vaccine target we're still not very close to a vaccine.

Thanks for writing. BY

Wait and See???
Facial wasting early on HIV