Man Boobs? Videx? Switch?

Hey.... Dr. Gerald! You've always guided me in the right direction......and I would appreciated your help. My drugs: Videx EC, Viramune, Epivir, Viread. Videc EC was added to "boost" my other three..... and it's worked. I'm undetectable with one "blip" after 9 months. I cannot take Sustiva FYI. Here's my concerns: I recently have had elevated lipase (nothing alarming... 85- but it's always been around 45), amylase is normal. I have alot of abdominal discomfort ... feels like gas pains. My HIV doc dismisses both of these things. But I also noticed that my breasts have enlarged ..... in that "man boob" kind of thing. Ok.. I've gained 15 pounds... but it's strange. A recent study showed that enlarged breast may be a side effect of Videx. SO.. here's my question. I think it's time to switch out the videx for something else. Ziagen? I also heard that recent studys show a higher failure rate with Videx and Viread. Anyway.. would like to drop the Videx EC. What do you think? Thanks from Iowa!

I share your concerns regarding the lipase elevation which suggests early pancreatitis. Also recent studies have shown lower CD4 counts with the combination of Viread and Videx. If you can drop the Videx and maintain virologic control, that would be ideal. If you have resistance issues that make a 4 drug regimen essential then Ziagen would be a reasonable choice to allow you to potentially save the protease inhibitors. Let us know how things go.

5 years no meds, sudden change
Drug Interaction with Imuno Acid