Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

5 years no meds, sudden change
Dec 15, 2004

Hello,

I know you get a lot of questions like this so excuse my unoriginality. I've been positive for five years and have been asymptomatic the whole time. T-cells have hovered around 350-450, and viral load has been between 20,000 and 30,000. I had the numbers done again recently and T-cells had fallen to 225, and my viral load had shot up to 113,000. Conventional wisdom (and my doctor) would seem to suggest it is time to start meds. My question is: do you think there's any chance the numbers might improve if I waited another three months, or is that just cockeyed optimism?

I have always been very engaged in the decision making process with this disease and want to remain so now, at this crucial point. This website has been an invaluable tool (HUGE thanks!) and, as usual, I would appreciate hearing what you have to say.

Thanks again!

Response from Dr. Pierone

It is not cockeyed optimism to recheck the counts before finalizing your decision to start. Sometimes a lab report comes back that is not in keeping with previous levels and turns out not to reflect the true state of the immune system. I might repeat in 4 to 6 weeks though instead of waiting for 3 months. Good luck!

Previous
New Dr. says to stop some meds.
Next
Man Boobs? Videx? Switch?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.