SCARED TO START MEDS

I BECAMEINFECTED WITH HIV THREE YEARS AGO. MY VIRAL LOAD HAS STAYED PRETTY LOW NEVER ABOVE TEN THOUSAND. HOWEVER MY CD4 COUNT IN SEPTEMBER WAS DOWN TO 326. I AM GOING TO THE DOCTOR ON MONDAY AND PLAN ON STARTING MEDICATIONS. HAVE HEARD HORROR STORIES ABOUT MEDICATION SIDE EFFECTS. JUST WONDERING KIND OF WHAT TO EXPECT AND ARE THERE TYPICALLY MEDS THAT EVERYONE IS STARTED ON AT FIRST.

Thanks for your post and question.

With a declining CD4 count (and one below 350), we typically consider starting HIV treatments. I always repeat lab tests to confirm such important numbers-- there is sufficient day-to-day variation in the tests that it is possible that your 326 reflects an abnormally "low" day.

If the CD4 count is confirmed and you're willing to start on medications, know that medications can be extremely well tolerated in 2004(5)- with regimens that can be a few as 2 pills daily, taken once a day. Even the once onerous protease inhibitor regimens have become much easier to take and in our patients, also extrememly well tolerated. Most of my patients now start on a combination NRTI (Combivir, Epzicom, Truvada) in combination with a non-nuke (such as efavirenz) or increasingly in combination with a boosted PI (such as Kaletra, or ritonavir-boosted fosamprenavir).

Most patients who start on regimens today experience very few side effects, mostly short lived nausea or fatigue, sometimes diarrhea. Very, very rarely have the severity of initial side effects prompted discontinuation of treatment or need to change to an alternative regimen.

Good luck, I hope this helps. BY

Strarting TB treatment
Scared to start treatment