Strarting TB treatment

I am a social worker and a few months back showed a 12 mm bumb measured on my hand for mantoux, a common TB test.I went for my chest x ray which was clear.Many coolegues of mine show positive and my company representative says it could possibly show positive all the time for some. Of course the diff is I am HIV+ healthy individual but my doc wanted me to START ON THE TB drugs lasting NIINE months. Should I avoid these drugs or should I start them . Even after completing I still work with the mentally and physically challenged and could be exposed again ? Does that mean that I will have to start treatment all over again? I have not begun the medication and need a second opinion and those nine month old drugs are starring at me from the closet. Please give me your view ? Thanks Brian

Since the PPD was positive at 12mm this indicates probable infection with TB. If you have been getting yearly PPD tests and this is the first positive one this would date it as a recent infection. In view of your HIV co-infection this would be an indication for 9 months of isoniazid (along with vitamin B6) to prevent reactivation of TB at some later time. It is unusual to be re-infected with TB for those that have ongoing potential exposures so re-treatment is not necessary. Hope this helps.

not sure if I should start treatment
SCARED TO START MEDS