Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Strarting TB treatment
Dec 12, 2004

I am a social worker and a few months back showed a 12 mm bumb measured on my hand for mantoux, a common TB test.I went for my chest x ray which was clear.Many coolegues of mine show positive and my company representative says it could possibly show positive all the time for some. Of course the diff is I am HIV+ healthy individual but my doc wanted me to START ON THE TB drugs lasting NIINE months. Should I avoid these drugs or should I start them . Even after completing I still work with the mentally and physically challenged and could be exposed again ? Does that mean that I will have to start treatment all over again? I have not begun the medication and need a second opinion and those nine month old drugs are starring at me from the closet. Please give me your view ? Thanks Brian

Response from Dr. Pierone

Since the PPD was positive at 12mm this indicates probable infection with TB. If you have been getting yearly PPD tests and this is the first positive one this would date it as a recent infection. In view of your HIV co-infection this would be an indication for 9 months of isoniazid (along with vitamin B6) to prevent reactivation of TB at some later time. It is unusual to be re-infected with TB for those that have ongoing potential exposures so re-treatment is not necessary. Hope this helps.

Previous
not sure if I should start treatment
Next
SCARED TO START MEDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.