HPV and HIV

Dear doc,

Thank you very much once again for your help.

I was infected a year and a half ago. My VL has always been high (around 60K) and my CD4 relatively low since infection (around 380).

Also, about a year and a half ago I started noticing little warts on my face. The dermatologist has burned some but some others appear... Its not Molluscum.

QUESTION: will my inmune system fight them better once on HIV treatment and manage to get rid of them and develop inmunity?

Also, about a month ago I noticed warts on my anus too!! I went to the dermatologist and he has sent me to a specialist to get them removed, but i have to wait for a whole MONTH!!

Question: I have read a lot about HPV and anal cancer in HIV+ people... Will waiting a whole month to get them removed be too long? Is it dangerous? What is the likely of me having anal cancer?

Thank you very much... I am a little nervous so i would appreciate a quick response...

Miguel

HPV stands for human papillomavirus, and is a common sexually transmitted disease that may be dormant for extended periods of time. Although this virus is associated with anal cancer it more commonly leads to warts and a delay of one month is not a problem.

The actual risk of anal cancer is not well defined (it is very low though), but ongoing studies will answer this question. Close follow up with a specialist will keep this problem under control and help prevent progression to anal cancer.

Here is a link to additional information on HPV.

Girlfriend with HIV
Wait and See???