Recently Infected, Recently Diagnosed

I had symptoms of fatigue and fever between July 6-9 of 2004. I have been recently diagnosed HIV+. I took a standard test July 15, 2004 and my result was (-) negative. After 2 weeks (July 28, 2004) I retested for another standard test and results came out (+) positive on western blot test. My diagnosis has been verified and am positive now. Should I start treatment? My first cd4 count was 520 and viral load of 32054. My doctor suggested he would put me in treatment for combination of TRUVADA & SUSTIVA for about a year to see how my body responds. He said since am newly infected, there are results from study that going into treatment would be beneficial. I am concern if this advisable. I had + tb skin test too and will be in preventive medication too. My doctor took another bloodwork to confirm #s and I will be back next week to get results and prescrition for the HIV & TB treatment. Wouldnt taking the treatment stress up my body? Should I go under TRUVADA+SUSTIVA treatment? Would it be more beneficial? I am slightly overweight right not and have slightly high blood pressure (140/90). I want to shape up before going under treatment. Thank you for the advice. Thanks for the help.

Since it is now December and you acquired HIV infection about 6 months ago the window for treatment of acute HIV infection has passed. Generally, most of the studies that have looked at treatment of primary HIV infection have included individuals that were within 3 months of infection. Even when caught early and treated promptly, we do not have definitive evidence that this approach is beneficial. In you situation unless you are strongly inclined in favor of early treatment it might be best to sit tight with regard to HIV. In the meanwhile you can get your blood pressure under control and TB taken care of. Let us know how things go and thanks for posting.

New DHHS Guidelines
T-cell & viral ok, but not feeling great