Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recently Infected, Recently Diagnosed
Dec 8, 2004

I had symptoms of fatigue and fever between July 6-9 of 2004. I have been recently diagnosed HIV+. I took a standard test July 15, 2004 and my result was (-) negative. After 2 weeks (July 28, 2004) I retested for another standard test and results came out (+) positive on western blot test. My diagnosis has been verified and am positive now. Should I start treatment? My first cd4 count was 520 and viral load of 32054. My doctor suggested he would put me in treatment for combination of TRUVADA & SUSTIVA for about a year to see how my body responds. He said since am newly infected, there are results from study that going into treatment would be beneficial. I am concern if this advisable. I had + tb skin test too and will be in preventive medication too. My doctor took another bloodwork to confirm #s and I will be back next week to get results and prescrition for the HIV & TB treatment. Wouldnt taking the treatment stress up my body? Should I go under TRUVADA+SUSTIVA treatment? Would it be more beneficial? I am slightly overweight right not and have slightly high blood pressure (140/90). I want to shape up before going under treatment. Thank you for the advice. Thanks for the help.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Since it is now December and you acquired HIV infection about 6 months ago the window for treatment of acute HIV infection has passed. Generally, most of the studies that have looked at treatment of primary HIV infection have included individuals that were within 3 months of infection. Even when caught early and treated promptly, we do not have definitive evidence that this approach is beneficial. In you situation unless you are strongly inclined in favor of early treatment it might be best to sit tight with regard to HIV. In the meanwhile you can get your blood pressure under control and TB taken care of. Let us know how things go and thanks for posting.

Previous
New DHHS Guidelines
Next
T-cell & viral ok, but not feeling great

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.