What a diifference! Combivir to Truvada

I had asked you previously about some concerns regarding switching from Combivir to Truvada. Newly infected, I was on Sustiva/combivir for a yr, but with intermittent low energy, headaches and nausea and below normal RBCs/Hct/Hgb. It has been about a month on Truvada/Sustiva and I feel GREAT! If the resistance gods are with me, I could keep this regimen up for quite a while (100% compliant thus far). Like Magic Johnson said in his CNN interview the other night, "Now I only think about HIV when I take my pills".

My question: I had my quarterly bloodwork done about 10 d after the switch - my CD4+ was down from 705 to 506, but the % rose slightly from 38% to 39% from the previous quarterly blood draw - is this significant?

Also: VL still ND, my RBCs are near normal range and Hct/Hgb are normal. It's good to know I can tolerate AZT if I would ever need it again, but given the effects I would prefer not to have to go down that path.

Thanks for your support in this decision (my doc concurred esp w/ the recent longer term Truvada data available).

Cheers!

Hello and thanks for the feedback. It is never an easy decision to make a change in an antiretroviral regimen, but sometimes it really makes a difference in quality of life. Glad to hear you are feeling better overall. The change in your CD4 count and percentage is not significant since there can be quite a bit of fluctuation when the counts are over 500. Best of luck to you!

Videx,Viread and Emtriva
New DHHS Guidelines