Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

nutritional supplements for HIV?
Dec 4, 2004

hi guys, what is your feelig opinion of dr jon kaiser's supplements it seems promising to me(but I'm a alt therapy fan for years)I'm diong my homework and that guys stuff looks great to me ,also what about mannatech? this glyco nutriton stuff is supposed to be amazing.I was a fan of dr benjamin ravichy(pos spelling error)he treated hiv,cancer patient with diet change,enzymes,ph monitoring/a justing very sucessfully in the early 80's kaaisers treatment seems the next step(whole body approach) tell me what you think? thanks alot p

Response from Dr. Pierone

I don't know what supplements that Dr. Kaiser recommends, but I know that he is an expert in this field. I read with great interest a poster that he presented at one of the AIDS meetings that indicated better recovery of immune function in patients on a supplement regimen.

Not enough work is being done in this research area for the obvious reasons. There is no financial incentive to invest in high quality (and expensive) research trials for supplements that will not be protected from generic competition. Without the evidence from controlled research, there is simply no chance for this (or any putative therapy) to make it to mainstream medical care. Testimonials from 10 patients detailing how they felt so much better after taking green enzyme formula 48 just doesn't cut it in our evidence based universe.

A recent trial involving a promising experimental agent for treatment of Multiple Sclerosis was halted because of negative results. Some of the patients on the study were understandably irate because they were denied access to this agent in spite of dramatic improvement in their symptoms. One example was a patient previously confined to a wheelchair who improved to the point that he was able to ditch the wheelchair and start walking without assistance. Remarkably though, some of the patients that had the greatest improvement in their condition were receiving a placebo, not the experimental agent that they were clamoring for. The placebo effect can be profound.

I personally take a clump of antioxidants every morning, but this is based on faith, not science. So I think that supplements may play a role for people living with HIV infection (or just living, and wanting to live longer or better), but there is not rigorous evidence the supports their use.

Previous
cd8 changes significant?
Next
starting treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.