Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New DHHS Guidelines
Nov 28, 2004

The U.S. DHHS guidelines for when to initiate HAART have been updated.

Allow me to quote the DHHS before I propose my question:

*(10-29-04) When to start? For asymptomatic treatment-nave patients with CD4+ T cell count >350 cells/mm3, the viral load recommendation to defer or to consider therapy has been increased from 55,000 to 100,000 copies/mL. This is based on more recent data supporting HIV RNA level of >100,000 copies/mL being a stronger predictor for disease progression than >55,000 copies/mL, though even at these CD4 and viral load levels, the risk of disease progression is still relatively low. Most experienced clinicians will defer therapy with quarterly clinical and laboratory evaluation.*

My history is as follows:

Diagnosis (9-7-2004): CD4 164, 15%, VL 32,000

(9-13-04): CD4 460, 17%, VL n/a

(10-7-04): CD4 459, 18%, VL 158,638

I have not been and am not on HAART Therapy. I am asymptomatic.

In direct regard to the DHHS statement above, I have a question regarding this statement...

"though even at these CD4 and viral load levels, the risk of disease progression is still relatively low."

I have been given 4 preventative shots (PCP, HEP A, TB, Flu, etc...) and more are to come.

I want my body and mind to "naturally adjust" to both the news of my diagnosis and the amount of preventative shots I have been subjected it to in such a short period of time.

If you notice how my numbers jumped around during this diagnostic phase, you can see why I am wanting to get more results before initiating anything.

In this case, my gut instinct may have been right - to not start Rx therapy just yet.

How far off the path is my VL 158,638 from the "DHHS" revision to VL 100,000 in terms of "slow progression"?

I do not want to be misguided so I would like an opinion on my numbers, the new guidelines and the "slow-progression" theory.

Thank you, Positive Outlook

Response from Dr. Young

Dear Positive,

Thanks for your post.

If you take a look at your CD4 absolute counts and CD4%, you'll see that there is a pretty big variability in the absolute count, but relative similarity with the percentages. This later parameter suggests to me that there really hasn't been dramatic changes in your immune "health", so to speak.

Having a viral load that is well over 100,000 makes it very unlikely that you'll be a slow progressor. Moreover, though current DHHS guidelines talk about the relative and immediate risk of having an HIV complication, it is pretty clear in my reading of the literature that persons with higher viral loads, like yourself, are more likely to have faster (not slower) than usual declines in their CD4 counts.

I hope this helps, good luck. BY

Previous
Initial Diagnosis
Next
can i wait a few months?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.