Initial Diagnosis

My partner has just been recently diagnosed and his initial results came back that he is at 232 CD4 and 75K VL. I assume he should go ahead and get on a regiment? His doctor says he is definitely pushing it with these numbers.

Thanks for your question.

With a initial CD4 count of approximately 200 (if confirmed), I would be in strong favor of initiation of HIV treatment.

The important thing is to fully evaluate your partner's treatment options and to understand the importance of adherence in the long-term success of treatments. I also strongly recommend getting drug resistance testing in persons who are treatment naive, prior to starting treatment, since a significant number of recently infected persons have, unfortunately, acquired HIV with some degree of resistance.

Good luck, thanks for reading. BY

Cancerous Lump?
New DHHS Guidelines