Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recent seroconversion with question about treatment & nutritional supplements
Nov 13, 2004

Hello Drs. Young, Wohl and Pierone, Thank you for sharing your time & expertise in this forum. I recently tested positive (late August 2004) after two negative tests in May and June 2004. My T-cells are 302 and my viral load is 203,000. (It was my first viral load/T-cell blood test.) The infectious disease doctor I saw last week recommended I go on Combavir and Sustiva, but said I could wait another six weeks and be tested again. I'm afraid to start medicine first because of the side effects and second because I don't want to be locked in to a drug regimen prematurely. I am taking a bunch of herbal stuff and vitamins in hopes it will boost my immunity, nothing more than what is recommended on the label. It's all stuff I read about in the chapter on HIV/AIDS in the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing. Skipping the echinacea, which I understand is bad for HIV-positive people, instead trying Kyo-Green, a kelp/wheat grass mixture; aloe vera juice, enzymes, bee propolis, royal jelly, shitake/maitaki/reishi mushroom mixture, Vitamin C, a multivitamin. I got my pneumonia vaccination and will get the flu shot the middle of October. Am I missing a crucial window here, postponing going on HAART? Generally I feel pretty healthy, other than a persistent runny nose & mild congestion. Sincerely, Hopeful in Northern California

Response from Dr. Pierone

Since you have just recently become infected and we don't have definitive proof of the value of early treatment it is ok for you to wait. I don't know enough to comment on the supplement regimen. It is best to have sequential testing of the viral load and CD4 count to determine the trend, this will give you an idea of how well your immune system is able to control the virus. Good luck!

Previous
Side Effect Switch
Next
CBS website on HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.