The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Locating an HIV specialist

Oct 27, 2004

I am an American living overseas and will soon be relocating to the US (DC area). I started on HIV medication earlier this year and want to ensure no disruption in treatment once I move. How do I locate a qualified HIV specialist in my new area prior to my move? Is there a web address I can research that lists HIV specialists in various locations in the U.S. Also, I'm assuming I should have my doctors in Germany copy all my medical files, so I can present them to my new doctor? I don't want to start over since I've been receiving excellent treatment for over 4 years. Thanks

Response from Dr. Young

Guten tag, thank you for your post.

There are a number of ways to get the beta on who's who in HIV medicine-- one way is to ask a local AIDS service organization (ASO)-- these can be found in the yellow pages (online) or at Another way is to look up providers on the American Academy of HIV Medicine's website (

There are quite a few highly respected HIV doctors in the DC area (as there are in Germany,too). I don't think that locating one should be too difficult.

And yes, it is always a good idea to have copies of your previous clinic visit notes and lab reports to bring to your first appointment. It makes for better continuity and patient care.

Thanks for reading. Safe travels. BY

Intensify early treatment?
Lab trends

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint