Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Starting Treatment
Oct 24, 2004

Dear Dr. Young,

In early September 2004, I tested HIV+ and I was informed of the results 12 days ago. My tests results show a CD4 of 286 and VL is 16900. I'm 49 years old, 5'11", 160 lbs and otherwise in good health. My Doctor believes I may have been infected for about 8 years now. Although she indicated that I am in the gray area for treatments, she suggests starting treatment in 30 days. I will have CD4 and VL tests before meeting with her again so progression can be mapped. I just started a regiment of vitamins (Multi w/200 mcg Selinium, B-100, Lysine, and Alpha Lipoic Acid). My question is what other steps, if any, can I implement to boost my CD4 count?

This is all happening to fast and I feel I can't learn quick enough. I have just discovered this wonderful website and the work you are doing is phenomenal!

I applaud you with my beating heart.

Joe K :)*

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post and kind words.

I'd agree with your doctor's approach-- you are in a area where some would (but some would monitor) recommend starting HIV therapy. Moreover, getting a repeat set of labs is very helpful in assuring that the first set of labs accurately reflect your immune health status.

Assuming that you're otherwise feeling well and don't have any active infections, supplemental vitamins make very little, if any clinically significant differences in you CD4 counts (sorry to say). I would add, though, that there are plenty of dietary things that one can do to improve their long-term health- this includes reduction in fats, increases in fresh fruit and greens; of course, increasing exercise and avoidance of tobacco products also improve health. If I were you, I'd invest my time and money in these proven measures.

Thanks for reading, good luck. Keep us posted as to your progess. BY

Previous
Keep immune system up or stay of meds til drop?
Next
Restructuring Epzicom/Sustiva Timing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.