Birth control pills and HAART

I'm going to take tenofovir and sustiva and 3tc. Do I have to stop taking my birth control pills?

You do not need to stop birth control pills as you commence this antiretroviral regimen. There is a modest interaction with Sustiva that leads to an increase in the blood levels of estrogen in birth control pills and in the prescribing information they provide a disclaimer that barrier method of contraception (condoms, diaphragm) should also be used. Sustiva has been linked to birth defects in primate models so women of childbearing age that take Sustiva need to be very careful not to become pregnant. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

calmer waters
Keep immune system up or stay of meds til drop?