HAART and anti-psychotic meds

Recently diagnosed, CD4 242,15%,VL 82,000. A question about combining HAART with other meds: I take Olanzapine and risperidone for a psychotic illness. My mental health is very stable at present, and I am happy with the medications I'm on.It has taken a long time to get this right, and so I am very reticent to change anything! I would appreciate another doctor's opininon on what combo of HIV meds would a)not interact with these anti-psychotic meds and b)not in any way cause my mental health to deteriorate (I am aware of some of the possible side effects of Sustiva, for example)Many thanks.

This is a fairly common scenario since many of our patients are on regimens similar to yours. The short answer is that we do use Sustiva and most patients do fine with the combination. That said, my personal approach is to use Viramune instead of Sustiva in order to lower the chance of worsening of the psychiatric condition. We also sometimes use protease inhibitor-based therapy (such as Reyataz or Lexiva) as an alternative. Best of luck.

Is early treatment better ?
First line therapy NOW!