I would like a simpler life.

Hello, I have been taking Crixivan, Zerit, and Epivir for 7 years now. My T-cell count has remained in the 400 range for 3 years now, and the virus count in undetectable. I also have to take Niaspan and Tricor for triglycerides. I am also on a calcium blocker for my blood pressure. As you can see I'm on a lot of meds. Can someone suggest a simpler regimen? I find myself losing track on occasion. I also would like to stop taking the Zerit, because of the wasting I've experienced.

Response from Dr. Lee

You would seem to have several options for switching if this is your first regimen. For example, you could switch out the Zerit and replace with Retrovir (available in a combo with Epivir called Combivir = 1 pill every 12 hours), or switch out to Viread or Abacavir (which are both available in once daily dosing and can be combined with a once daily Epivir or Emtriva). There are several protease inhibitor choices to reduce the number of pills and times for dosing. THe simplest switch may be to boost the Crixivan with Norvir, thereby reducing the dose of Crix and enabling you to take the meds every twelve hours with or without food rather than every eight on an empty stomach. There are several other protease inhibitor choices, including some that are once daily or twice daily with reduced pill numbers. I suggest you have a long talk with your doc.

Be well.

I have changed Medicine and Viral Load is Worse.
Truvada