Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What might a next combo utilize?
Oct 6, 2004

In the past, I took AZT +3TC for two years but never achieved undetectable viral loads. Usually they were around 10,000. Then when the PI's came out, I changed to Norvir, Fortovase, Zerit, 3TC (continued), and Videx. Had a great response for 7 years with that combo, but recently viral load is creeping back up over 6 months yet is still <1,000. I'm thinking about asking to switch the entire combo rather than waiting for more resistance to build, and to eliminate the Videx/Zerit potential issues. Do I have any superbley aggressive and strong combinations I might want to consider?

Response from Dr. Lee

You are running out of nuc choices, although the exact resistance pattern is not known and probably is not going to be found with a viral load <1000. (Genotypes require a greater quantity of virus for the test to work.) You've been on AZT, 3TC, DDI (Videx), and D4T (Zerit) so you are likely to harbor virus with multiple nucleoside resistance mutations. I believe you are wise to discontinue either the Zerit or the Videx (most no longer recommend these two in combination), but perhaps you could hold onto one of these and add another nucleoside (Ziagen or Viread perhaps).

Also, rather than waiting for more resistance to build, changing from the Fortavase/Norvir combo protease inhibitor to perhaps Kaletra (boosted Lopinavir) would be worth considering. On the other hand, you may want to try a non-nucleoside (Sustiva, Viramune, Rescriptor) with your nucleosides. If you have not been on a non-nuc, a med from this class could be very effective for you. You have not indicated what your t-cell level is, so be sure and review the options carefully with your doc.

Be well.

Previous
melanoma
Next
Nondetectable for Two Years

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.