Restart treatment

Hello, the ratio of my T-cells to virus drop from 17% to 15%.My Dr. want me to wait one more month before restart 11 month break treatment. is ok?. Is declare 13% HIGHLY OPORTUNISTIC INFECTION? Is possible to control hiv only with a "cocktail" of protease inhibitors,wihtout nucleoside...drugs wich are more like it to destroy the mitochondria? Thanks a lot for your help D.P. 19 Sep. 2004

Although we look at the CD4 or T-cell ratio, the absolute count generally takes precedence. A CD4 count percentage in the 15 to 17% range typically correlates with a CD4 count in the 200 to 250 range and this is when treatment is often recommended. The risk of opportunistic infection is not high at this point. The rationale is to treat before the immune system breaks down and opportunistic infections occur.

It is possible to control HIV replications with PIs only. Research done years ago showed the effectiveness of Norvir and Saquinavir in combination. More recently, research has been reported on the use of Kaletra monotherapy for HIV infection. This is experimental at present and more study is needed. Thanks for posting and good luck.

Life expectancy
Viramune Truvada first line?