Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

To start with Trizivir and Viread
Sep 28, 2004

I am 32yr old female hiv pos. I want to start treatmentn with trizivir and viread.My question are: 1 What is the current data on this regime in general? 2 What is the daily dose of each drug? 3 If the dose of viread is once a day,which time is better to take it,morning or evening? thank in advance, Rig.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks Rig for your questions.

I'd talk to your doctor about currently recommended treatment regimens-- I'm personally not a big fan of the Trizivir/tenofovir regimen that you've listed, primarily because of the lack of significant clinical studies data that demonstrate potency or durability.

That said, there are a number of very simple (and in contrast to the regimen that you've listed), once-daily treatment combinations. You can look at the recent Department of Health and Human Services guidelines for details. Moreover, newer boosted protease inhibitors have shown the propensity to be very well tolerated and significant improvement in resistance profile, should treatment failure occur.

As to your questions, Trizivir is dosed one pill twice daily, Viread (tenofovir) is dosed 300 mg (one tablet) once daily, if you have normal kidney function. There's no real preference to dosing tenofovir in the morning or night.

Hope this helps, BY

Previous
jorston
Next
Initial Treatment after pregancy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.