Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Strange Lab result
Sep 27, 2004

Dear experts, Tnanks for all you information provide here that really can help may people.

On average, a CD4 count of 200 is equivalent to a percentage of 15; each 100 cells is roughly 7% points.

My CD4 is 286, but the percentage is only 12%

My total WBC is 5800 with 39.9% lymphocytes and 46.6% neutrophils. By calculation 5800 *39.9%= 2314 and CD4 286 /2314 *100% is about 12%. it seems to be correct, but that result really make me frustrated, My physician said Cd4 286 is Ok now but need monitoring, also Bactrim on daily doses and fluconazole 200mg twice a week is prescribed to me. But I have no symptom at all at this moment, and I am sure I got HIV less than 1.5 year, Why my CD4 drop to such a low level?? and the Cd4 percentage seem worse although My physician never emphasize this point.

The first test of blood is 3 days after my HIV test, and for that few days I feel frustrated and cry and with much stress and want to commit suscide, Is it possibly that the elevated cortisol level during stressful period might make my CD4 much lower ?? Do I need to retest again?

Hoping that you can give me some suggestions. Thanks

Response from Dr. Pierone

One can only draw preliminary conclusions about CD4 counts and percentages after only one blood test because of the variability (sometimes extreme) of these numbers. So you should have CD4 counts, percentage, and viral load retested several times to get a better understanding of the status of your infection.

It is also crucial for you to seek expert help for the emotional aspect of this diagnosis. Anxiety and depression commonly accompany a new diagnosis of HIV infection and must be addressed. Many patients and doctors do not realize that depression is a potentially deadly disease (through suicide) and take it too lightly.

Let us know when you get your retest numbers and best of luck to you!

Previous
starting with fuzeon if pi resistant?
Next
Starting with a protease inhibitor

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.