Sep 17, 2004
I just found out that my brother may have aids. He has been ill for quite some time. He was losing weight rapidly and couldn't keep anything down. His doctor told him that he had thrush and his t-cell count was 85. Is this serious? Are cd4 and t-cell the same thing?
| Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for your question.
Assuming that your brother has HIV infection, a CD4 count (aka "T-cell") of 85 means that he has very profound immune deficiency and AIDS. Normal CD4 counts are minimally 350 or above, persons with CD4 counts below 200 are considered to have AIDS. BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Anal Sex Witout Condom How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For AIDS
- Blood Splash Should I Get Test For AIDS
- Can AIDS Be Transmitted Through Oral Sex With No Protection?
- Can HIV Be Transmitted Through Lap Dancing?
- Can Someone Catch AIDS From French Kissing?
- Can Someone Get AIDS From Swallowing Sperm?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.