undetected viral loads when first infected

This is in response to a question asked on 09/06/03 undetected viral loads when first infected.

I believe I was infected sometime between 03/04 and 04/04. I tested positive in 07/04. I am a patient of Dr. Keith Henry in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

My test results are as follows:

First Testing 07/04

Elisa = Positive Western Blot = Only three bands positive RNA = Not tested CD4 = Not tested

Second Testing 08/04

Elisa = Not run Western Blot = Negative RNA = 638 CD4 = 5023

Third Testing 09/04

Elisa = Positive Western Blot = All bands positive RNA = Not run CD4 = Not run

Dr. Henry is very confused by my results. First the WB is all over the board. Second my VL is so low after being infected. I tested negative in 11/03 and 02/04. He said he has heard of similar cases, but has not treated a case with these circumstances.

I would be very interested in following your progress to see how you and I compare. If in three months my VL remains under 10,000 he is considering putting me to a research study.

Well, to begin with, your medical care is in very capable hands. Dr. Henry is one of the leading HIV physicians in the country. Your situation is very unusual and some of the test results appear to be inconsistent, but this sometimes happens for reasons that we don't understand. It makes sense to trend repeat tests of CD4 count and viral load to see what happens. Good luck and let us know.

Helping Friend Make Decision
starting meds or not