Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

karposis sarcoma
Sep 13, 2004

hi, my grandma has Karposis Sarcp,a and she just went through chemo therapy. I am EXTREMELY worried about her so please bare with me and help me out. I dont know her CD4 cell count and viral load because i dont know what they are. She just went to the hospital 2 days ago and has a swollen left foot which has been there for many years. I just visited her at the hospital yesterday, and she looked extremely weak, she could barely talk, and is on and off most of the time. I already know that chemo therapy is a very strong medication and i just want to know if my grandma will have any chance to live through this? Do you have any ideas that will help regain her strength and become the active grandma she used to be? How long will she stay weak like this? How long will it take to regain the amount of cells she needs? Should she eat any type of foods to help regain her energy? please help me out, thank you.

Response from Dr. Pierone

It sounds like your grandmother is very sick, but Kaposi's Sarcoma is certainly a treatable condition, as is HIV. Her doctors should be able to give her and the family an idea of her prognosis based on her counts and overall medical condition. If she have been ill for a while she may require nutritional supplements and help ensuring sufficient nutritional intake. Good luck!

Previous
HIV and Cancer treatment concurrently
Next
Helping Friend Make Decision

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.