Quasi-PEP

Gentlemen,

My situation and have not seen one or kind of question in the archives: First of June this year my wife was diagnosed as being HIV positive during routine test because she is pregnant. We had not had intercourse for the past week prior to the test. Next day, I was tested and a week later the EIA came back as negative. A week later, I did a Western Blot and an EIA and both were negative. At nine weeks, because I could not wait any longer I did another EIA and it was also negative. I know I could test positive anytime for the next four months. I do not know why, but I just want to be very proactive because I am about to be a father and want to do everything I can to be there for her (found out we are having a girl) for the next eighteen years. I know it may not be advised for some reasons, but can a patient like me tell a doctor I want to start a regimen now. I want to do one for the next four months or six months if I test positive in that time. My wife has started her medications after she found out and she is doing great. I can just feel that our child is going to be fine and the odds are with us. The way I see it now is that I have nothing to loose by just starting a regimen now. I also feel basically I have a fifty-fifty chance of having HIV either I have it or I do not. I know quasi-PEP may be the wrong term, but if I do have this intruder in me now then there is no harm and may be beneficial in the long run and if I do not then I can just treat it like PEP, but in the long run it failed. Please give me your insight

Also want to let you guys know how much help you are giving by sacrificing your time for this site. With the hardest challenge I have ever had in my life this site has been a great help and service for me and my wife. Simply thanks and God bless

Hello and thanks for posting. I would not recommend that you start antiretroviral therapy. Also you feel that you may have a 50-50 chance of having HIV, the real number based on these two recent HIV tests is less than 1 percent. The only way you could be positive would be if you were in the window period of seroconversion. To eliminate any lingering doubt you can ask your doctor to do an HIV RNA test. If this is negative you are in the clear. Good luck to you and your wife.

question about resistance to choose meds
HIV and Cancer treatment concurrently