newly positive and treatment recomended

Okay here goes, will try to keep this short.

I got sick in mid June 04, was treated for bronchitis, would not go away, got myself tested Aug 4, 04, and tested positve. Previous HIV test in Mid May and End of Feb were both neg.

Went to a HIV Specialist Aug 5, blood work etc. CD 4 count 513 and VL of 51523 with bDNA V 3.0 test. ( Aug 5)

My doctor is recommending meds, which I am fine with, however trying to get more info for treatment to make an informed decision. Referred me to a clinical trial as well. Research study ESS 100732 Phase IIIb.

I will be starting two posible med regimens, and not sure how to compare them. I am a flight attendant.

The drugs are GW433908, Ritonavir, and ABC/3TC or Kaletra and ABC/3TC.

Whould these be recommended? Also my doctor is not sure and thinks I was not in the Acute infection stage. I firmly believe if I am going to take meds I should do so in research, or are there better studies in the works based on my situation?

I live in Atlanta.

Based on the two negative HIV tests earlier this year it is clear that your HIV infection is recent. The numbers are not bad and based on current guidelines it is not clear that you require treatment at this time. At the least, you should have the CD4 count and viral load repeated.

If you are interested in a clinical trial you might consider SMART, which actually is looking at early treatment versus deferred therapy. If you are randomized to the early treatment arm you can still participate in an additional clinical trial that looks at regimen A versus regimen B.

The clinical trial that you were referred to is comparing one of the standard HIV regimens (Kaletra and Epzicom) to an arm containing a newer protease inhibitor - 908 or Lexiva. Nothing wrong with this study and this is how we determine which combinations work best. If you decide to participate in any trial be sure to read the written consent carefully and be fully informed before moving forward.

ACTG A5142
syphilis and HIV together