Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ACTG A5142
Sep 11, 2004

Hi - this is my third question on this forum, and like the first two times, I have to begin by thanking you for all the work you do here - it is such an amazing source of information and comfort!!!

I am enrolled in the above mentioned clinical trial and wondered if you have any update on how the trial is going on the whole? I am taking the Kaletra/Sustiva only option (since November 2003), and so far things are great! My viral load has been as low as 15 (bounces around but consistently under 100 or so) from a high of 900,000, and my CD4 is up to 600 from a low of 400 - the percentage has risen from 13% to 19%. Only real side effect has been the lipids - they are high at 260 but not out of the ballpark yet!

Any insight into how the particular combinations are doing? Of course, I'm especially interested in any info you have on the Kaletra/Sustiva combo. Thanks again for everything!

Response from Dr. Pierone

This study directly compares 2 nukes + Sustiva versus 2 nukes + Kaletra versus Kaletra/Sustiva in treatment-nave patients. The expectation is that all 3 arms in this trial should do well based on previous experience. The hope is that significant differences in side effects and effectiveness will be understood from the results of head to head comparative studies of this nature. Kaletra/Sustiva should be very potent, but the worry is that lipid issues may be problematic given the propensity of both agents to raise cholesterol and triglycerides. Thanks for posted and stay tuned!

Previous
PEP and low viral load
Next
newly positive and treatment recomended

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.