I need urgent opinion tipranavir

I will apreciate a lot your opinion. Im 25years old and my cd4 190 and vl 52,000. My doctor is offering regular treatment (lamivudine, zidovoudine, efavirenz) OR participate in a new one (tipranavir, tenofovir,lamivudine) I want to know if you have any recomendations or experience on this new combination, or its only in experimental process or what. I need to take choose the next days, so please I urgently need another opinion.

It sounds like you have not been treated yet and are considering a trial for treatment-nave patients. It is not clear from your post what Tipranavir is being compared to in the study and this would be important to know.

Tipranavir is a new protease inhibitor that works against multi-drug resistant virus and is eagerly awaited to help fill this need. Although very potent, I am not sure that its side effect profile matches well compared to contemporary first-line therapy. It also needs to be paired with Norvir and this adds to the toxicity of this agent. On the other hand, Tenofovir tends to be better tolerated than zidovudine (AZT), so this may be an equalizer.

Anyone thinking of getting involved in a trial should carefully read the informed consent (which is traditionally very long and tedious). Gather as much information as you can before making a decision. Good luck!

To continue Meds or Not?
Replication capacity