Too many drugs

Hello....I have medication overload, I believe( join the crowd, huh..). I take the following regimen: Kaletra-bid Retrovir-bid Viread Acyclovir-400 mg once per day Zetia Loperamide-bid Celexa Androgel

Allergies- Abacavir(rash and high fever) Strong aversion: Sustiva(nightmares and that feeling in the morning that I have been out drinking all night- when in reality I have been sleeping in my bed all night)

The combination works as far as my VL which is undetectable and my T-cells have been over 900 for the past 2 1/2 years). On paper, a treatment success, but I am frequently nauseous, still have diarrhea episodes once a week or more, trouble sleeping, my hands fall asleep at night so I wake up frequently...and many days a feeling of muscles soreness/weakness...

Any suggestion?

Response from Dr. Lee

Just to review your HIV meds: Kaletra-bid, Retrovir-bid, and Viread. And the side effect most likely related to these meds: frequently nauseous, diarrhea episodes once a week or more, many days a feeling of muscles soreness/weakness. The side effects are most likely associated with the Kaletra and the Zidovudine components of the regimen (Zidovudine or AZT is part of Combivir). You may want to consider switching to a non-nucleoside such as niverapine (Viramune) and Truvada (a combo of Emtriva and Viread- ie emtricitabine and tenofovir) once daily. There are many other options considering your virus is well-controlled and you have a strong t-cell level. But, this suggested regimen may avoid the specific side effects you are experiencing now. Check with your doc to see if your other medical history, etc. fits with this suggestion, or if there is another option that is better for you.

Be well.

salvage therapy
Risks of pentamidine for 71 year old