Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

skipping meds - Please answer
Sep 6, 2004

Hi First of all I appreciate the wonderful work you guys are doing to help guys like me.

I am taking combivir and kalatra for the past 18 month with 100% adherance. I am going on vacation for a month and my insurance company would not give me 2 months supply of my meds. With the meds in my hand I am short of 2-3 days supply of Kalatra. My doctor told me that skipping for couple of days is fine. I know skipping meds is not good but given the situation can you please tell me what is best for me? 1.Just take combivir for that 3 days. 2. take combivir and kalatra only in the morning and only combivir in the night for 6 days so that i do not skip the med continuously for 3 days.

I appreciate your urgent help in this as i am going out of country next week.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

You're in a bit of a bind with regard to the missing pills. I'd ask your local AIDS service organization if they have a community pill supply- perhaps they can get you a few days of Kaletra; alternatively, it might be possible (understanding the cost issues aren't trivial) to simply buy the 3 extra days of Kaletra. Either of these options is preferable to missing doses.

Now, as for the options you've listed, I definitely would not recommend that you only take Combivir-- this would only place you at risk of acquiring drug resistance. Same is true for only taking 1/2 the usual daily dose of Kaletra. I'd prefer that you simply stop all your meds for the three days that your without the complete regimen, then resume when you've got adequate supplies of both medications.

I hope this helps, safe travels. BY

Previous
Just starting meds and traveling to Africa
Next
What are the chances of myself remaining this good?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.