skipping meds - Please answer

Hi First of all I appreciate the wonderful work you guys are doing to help guys like me.

I am taking combivir and kalatra for the past 18 month with 100% adherance. I am going on vacation for a month and my insurance company would not give me 2 months supply of my meds. With the meds in my hand I am short of 2-3 days supply of Kalatra. My doctor told me that skipping for couple of days is fine. I know skipping meds is not good but given the situation can you please tell me what is best for me? 1.Just take combivir for that 3 days. 2. take combivir and kalatra only in the morning and only combivir in the night for 6 days so that i do not skip the med continuously for 3 days.

I appreciate your urgent help in this as i am going out of country next week.

Thanks for your post.

You're in a bit of a bind with regard to the missing pills. I'd ask your local AIDS service organization if they have a community pill supply- perhaps they can get you a few days of Kaletra; alternatively, it might be possible (understanding the cost issues aren't trivial) to simply buy the 3 extra days of Kaletra. Either of these options is preferable to missing doses.

Now, as for the options you've listed, I definitely would not recommend that you only take Combivir-- this would only place you at risk of acquiring drug resistance. Same is true for only taking 1/2 the usual daily dose of Kaletra. I'd prefer that you simply stop all your meds for the three days that your without the complete regimen, then resume when you've got adequate supplies of both medications.

I hope this helps, safe travels. BY

Just starting meds and traveling to Africa
What are the chances of myself remaining this good?