Medication Timing

I am currently on Viracept, Zerit, Epivir and Sustiva. I work two jobs. My full-time job is Monday thru Friday during daylight hours. The majority of time, I can take my meds on time each day. The problem comes when I have to go to my part-time job on the night shift every other weekend. If I take the Sustiva in the evening before I go to work on the night shift, I get real spacey at work, and this can be a problem. What I typically do is take the Sustiva when I get home in the morning from working the night shift along with the other meds. My concern is this: would staggering this dose of Sustiva for 12 hours every other week cause a problem? My viral load is undetectable and t-cells are o.k. Am I putting myself at risk for developing mutations by doing this?

Response from Dr. Squires

Ideally, the medications should be taken at the same time each day. However, efavirenz (sustiva) has a long half-life ; if you are changing one dose every other week it is unlikely that the serum levels will fluctuate significantly. This has to be balanced with the demands of your job and the necessity to be alert while at work. In any case, you should discuss this with your physician. He/she needs to be aware of how you are taking your meds.

I hope this has been helpful.

KES

Starting a drug cocktail and smoking?
Treatment for Children with HIV