The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SN 1212 in development

Sep 6, 2004

Dr. Pierone:

I would first like to thank you for your encouraging words given to so many readers on this website. Your words have given many of us in this dreadful situation hope. I'm not sure I can put into words exactly how powerful an effect hope has had on my life but I wanted to share with other readers an article I ran across the other day. I am interested in hearing your comments on this as well as looking for additional avenues to research this topic. Any information you can provide on this subject or ways of researching it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for everything that you have done and I wish there were more Doctors out there with your enthusiasm and professionalism.

A compound that uses a unique strategy is being developed by Koronis Pharmaceuticals, of Redmond, Wash. Called SN1212, it forces HIV's gene-replicating machinery to make so many mistakes that the virus ceases to exist as a viable entity. Lab tests have failed to find or induce any HIV strains capable of resisting SN1212's action. That property would give the compound obvious appeal, assuming it works in humans and is not otherwise harmful.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for the kind words. There was a report on this compound SN1212 at this years Retrovirus conference. Here is the link to the abstract. It sounds promising, but is in a very early stage of development. Stay tuned.

4 drugs or 3? Confused.
which one to start with

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint