Anal precancerous lesion and HAART

I stopped HIV meds 1 mo. ago, due to my inability to tolerate the side effects. At the time of "start", my cd4's were-74, and viral-868,000, after 7 mos. my cd4-400, and viral undetectable. Since off,(1-1/2 mos), cd4-400, viral-600,000. In the midst of all this I had a rectal biopsy. I was told I had "AIN-3", "pre-cancer"? What is my concern here and if anyone knows, what is the progression of this? Especially since I am, "HIV drug free"? Please, please help me with something, at least more than I was told! Thank you. "Living w/HIV/AIDS 20yrs."

You have a precancerous anal lesion and this should be treated and followed by a doctor with experience in this condition. A good analogy would be a female with an abnormal PAP test of the cervix. Precancerous lesions in both the cervix and anus can be treated to prevent progression to cancer. Both situations require ongoing careful medical monitoring.

With regard to HIV treatment, it makes intuitive sense that there will be less risk of progression to anal cancer if viral replication is controlled and immune reconstitution is maintained. If you can find an effective antiretroviral combination that you can tolerate it would likely lower your risk of HIV-related complications. Thanks for posting.

Just started meds and scared. Help!
undetected viral loads when first infected