Prednisolone for HIV

Dear Dr Pierone.

I read with great interest your article about use of prednisolone for slowing down loss of t4-cells in some patient groups. As a newly infected (autumn 2003) person with viral load in the area of 2000 (tested january and march 2004) and t4 1000-1200 (no HAART), do you think i should talk to my HIV-specialist about starting with prednisolone?

Yours, Thomas

I reported on this study with interest because over the years I have had a few patients with HIV infection that required corticosteroids for other reasons and I also noticed that they seemed to do well with a remarkably stable course. In fact, in my pile of potential studies to do I had a folder labeled 'prednisone and HIV'.

But a few anecdotal cases and a retrospective, uncontrolled trial simply set the stage for a prospective controlled trial to see if this potential therapy is for real. So prednisolone therapy should be considered experimental and is not ready for prime time. Stay tuned though.

Documented Medical Indication for Insurance for Liposuction/Buffalo Hump
Confused about re-starting treatment