Bangkok Conference

Doctors!

Thank you for your tireless work on this website. As a casual reader, I reviewed some of the outcomes of the July AIDS conference in Bangkok. It seems that this was a "lack luster" year with few "block buster" announcements or breakthroughs.

Am I current in this reading?

Did anything of huge significance in terms of prevention or treatment occur at this conference that I may have missed?

Thank you for any consideration to this query.

I would refer the readers to the coverage of the meeting at this link to draw their own conclusions. I think by far that the most interesting study at the conference was my presentation on the measurement of atherosclerotic plaque in patients on antiretroviral therapy (just kidding).

Actually, a number of astute observers in the research arena also felt that this meeting came up a bit short on the cutting edge science. Others thought that the meeting was overly focused on political issues and social sciences. Maybe so, but I think that this meeting plays a crucial role because it highlights the vast chasm that separates the two worlds of AIDS. The most elegant scientific discovery doesn't mean all that much if we can't translate these incredible advances into practical access for the millions that are dying.

RE: Delines inCD4 with Videx (posted 9/5/04)
Neuropathy? On NNRTI Regimen