RE: Delines inCD4 with Videx (posted 9/5/04)

Dear,Dr Pierone, thank you for your great respond. I fell to let you know that my friend was on Trizivir and Viramune before start the for regimes (sustiva 600mg, viread 300mg, epivir 300mg, videx ec 250mg. Of course the trizivir and viramune was stopped due to reaction of the trizivir.(due to severe rash,no fevers.) My understanding is the he can not start trizivir again once he stop. Do you or your colleague have any suggestion on what my friend could ask his doctor to try changing to get his CD4 up. Right now his is CD4=249 and undected viral load.

thanks, a concern friend..

It sounds like the original regimen was stopped for toxicity rather than virologic failure so it is not likely that he has drug resistant virus. With this assumption (he should confirm with his doctor) he could likely just stop the Videx and continue Viread, Epivir, and Sustiva. As I mentioned in the last post on your friend, the available data does not favor a 4 drug regimen over a traditional 3 drug cocktail. Thanks for posting and good luck to your friend.

Dilemma with 6 year old child
Bangkok Conference